The objective of all businesses is to make money. Yes, even your business which feeds, heals, empowers, trains and builds community. If your business makes enough money to keep you comfortable, you will have more time, energy, and value to give back to your clients. A great way to begin to understand how you are making money (and subsequently how to make more) is to understand your business' sales funnel.
Here is what a sales funnel can look like (there are several interpretations out there):
Today, I'm going to talk about awareness. In advertising and digital marketing we refer to this portion or top of the sales funnel as 'impressions'. If you run an ad in a magazine or post on social media the number of people who see these posts / ads are considered campaign impressions. The idea is that the more impressions your brand message receives, the more potential there is for converting these eyeballs into paying customers.
Here are a few strategic ways to increase awareness about your brand:
- Understand your target audience. While you are working to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible, it is important to focus your efforts on reaching the most people who may purchase your product / service. Not sure of where to find your target audience? Read my post on defining your target market.
- Analytics. Analytics are an important tool in understanding your target audience. Integrate Google Analytics into your site and learn all you can about your potential customers. Who are they? What are they clicking on? Where are they coming from? Expand campaigns that are working. Note: it happens frequently that who you think you are marketing to and who is actually buying your product / service are different people. Analytics will help give you gain a real understanding of your audience that is supported by data.
- Cut the fat. Stop doing anything that isn't reaching eyeballs that may convert into customers. Immediately. If you are a solo-preneur building your business, you don't have time and energy to waste.
- Activate your network. Reach out to your friends and family, current clients and colleagues and ask them to share information about your business. Your personal network are almost always your strongest advocates.
Here are a few platforms that can help you start to effectively increase awareness about your brand:
- Your personal network
- Social media
- Blog posts + leverage on social media
- Facebook ads
- Google Adwords
Important note: it is really important that you have a clean website and social media profiles before taking the initiative to increase brand awareness. If your digital presence isn't clean, it will greatly affect your conversion rate. It is also crucial to have a clear call to action that supports the visitor on their journey from viewer to customer.
Next week, we'll dig into how to begin to turn these impressions into sales leads.
Want to learn more about marketing your healthy brand? Click here to set up a free 30-minute coaching session and make sure to sign up for weekly email marketing tips for food, fitness and wellness professionals.
If you’re so excited that you think every professional you know should have access to this information, then make sure to share this with a friend.