1. Be Concise. Keep the communication on your website short and to the point. Think of the process of describing your product and services on your site similar to that of writing a tweet. You must be descriptive and encourage engagement in as few characters as possible. Bonus: use icons to help your visualize concepts. You can find free icons on The Noun Project.
2. Include a Call to Action. Decide what it is that you want your customers to do when they visit your website (e.g. try your product, sign up for an e-newsletter, give feedback) and use concise, action-oriented words to encourage your readers to take that action. Some examples of effective calls to action include: 'Buy Now', 'Click Here', 'Sign Up', 'Download Free E-Book'. Bonus: give something away for free to inspire engagement e.g. ‘Buy 5 classes and receive a free t-shirt.’
3. Include professional quality photos. We live in an increasingly visual world (think about the success of networks like Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube). Professional quality photos help your customers perceive your brand as professional, successful and trustworthy. Check out this case study on how one food blogger increased her site traffic by 100% by increasing the quality of her photos. If you don’t want to invest in a professional photo shoot, there are a lot of great resources for free stock photos, click here for a list of free stock photo sites.
4. Make sure your website is responsive. Have you ever tried to buy something from a site on your phone and given up because it was too frustrating? This was likely not a responsive website. A responsive website adjusts to the size of a user’s screen. According to a 2015 analysis by Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, adult Internet users now use their mobile device for web browsing more than desktop devices. It is incredibly important that your customers can easily read, navigate and take action from a mobile devise. Any great agency and most free website services now build responsive design into the process, but best to make sure before you get too far along in the development process.
5. Update the content regularly. Update the content on your website consistently and constantly. There are a couple of reasons why this is important. First, you want to keep your customers coming back to see you and to stay top of mind for all things related to your industry. Second, updating your content regularly helps increase your ranking on search engines like Google. A great way to do this is to include a blog on your site and post consistently.
Love this post so much that you think every professional you know should have access to this information? Send this to a friend.